Friday, December 17, 2010

Waiting well

He says, " BE STILL!"
and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.”
- Psalm 46:10

This past Tuesday we received a letter informing us that our documents are officially on its way to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to be translated and authenticated! Once authenticated, we will officially be on the wait list. I cried after reading the letter, I was SO EXCITED, I felt like throwing a party to celebrate the final days of our 2nd adoption trimester.  As we approach January 2011 it will be a year since we started our adoption process. It has been months, days of waiting to get to this part of our journey.  Although we will continue to wait some more, there is a lot of anticipation and excitement for what's ahead. 

Lately, Sol and I have been talking about how "waiting" is an action.  We have the option to wait impatiently with endless complaining and whining or we can wait joyfully with gratefulness and a hopeful perspective. I would much rather choose to wait joyfully.  

This year we have started the tradition of making a Jesse Tree with our boys.   
The idea of the Jesse Tree comes from Isaiah 11:1-9, where God promises a discouraged nation that the glory they remember from David’s time will come again. They will have another king from Jesse’s family, in whose reign the whole earth will know God. As a Christian, we see that promise fulfilled in Jesus, and so we use a Jesse Tree and decorate it with reminders of how God prepared the world for that kingdom.
As we've been daily reflecting on these reminders throughout scripture, I have noticed the constant theme of WAITING: from Noah waiting for the rain to stop, Abraham and Sarah waiting for God's promise of a son to be fulfilled, Joseph thrown in jail and waiting for God to rescue him, Moses who waited for Pharoah to let him take the Israelites out of Egypt and all the prophets (Elijah, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Habakkuk and Nehemiah) who waited for God to answer their prayers to restore/revive the people of Judah...... then we get to Mary and Joseph who waited for Jesus to be born. 

I am SO relieved to know that God is faithful to fulfill His promises at the end of each waiting season we are in and I'm SO grateful that all we need to do sometimes is "BE STILL AND KNOW THAT HE IS GOD."

I desire to wait joyfully and peacefully for our children. Although I know there will be moments of self-doubt and anxiety, I will remind myself of all the faithful followers of Jesus in the Bible that waited for God to deliver, rescue, answer and provide. 

Chris Tomlin's songs: "I lift my Hands" and "Faithful" have ministered greatly to me this past week. Every time I listen to these songs, I picture our kids and all the other orphans in the world singing these songs. I am so thankful that God is and will always be forever faithful to them even in their pain, brokenness and loneliness. 



1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful blog post, chris, and such great reminders for us. we are so excited for you guys and can't wait to see what God brings/does for your/our newest family members in the coming months. We are praying and rejoicing with you guys! Love, Steph & Mike

    ReplyDelete