Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Peace

Life has been so busy these days that a few moments of solitude are hard to come by.  Between moving to a new home, homeschooling and trying to keep up with our daily routine... I long for a moment to sit, reflect and just be still.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to process how the changes in Ethiopia has affected our adoption process.  Not only has our wait time increased to 10-14 months but our recent home study update approved us for two children up to 4 years old.

When we moved into our new house, Ethan's (our 6 year old) expectations were shot down when he realized that his siblings from Ethiopia hadn't arrived yet. His mind was set on making scrambled eggs for their first breakfast in our home and he had built a lego airplane for each of them. It is sweet for us to watch God preparing his heart for his siblings. 

With two high energy boys and a husband who loves to play indoor soccer and nerf gun tag with them - my life may not seem outwardly peaceful. but truthfully my heart is at peace. It's shocking to me since I wasn't expecting to feel like this.  I like to be in control - after all, who wouldn't want to know who their children are and when they will come home?  I have moments throughout my day where I feel a sudden heaviness to pray for them. There are also moments when I realize we are short of 2 children in our family and our family is not complete without them.  But His peace has been carrying me through.  I want to wait well and wait joyfully knowing and trusting that He knows what He's doing. 

To remember our children in Ethiopia, my dearest friend came over and we cooked an Ethiopian meal for Sol and the boys. Our menu consisted of Doro wat, Injera and Sambousek. The aroma from all the spices filled our home - it was a special evening as we thought and dreamt of what it will be like when our children come home and join us. 



Doro wat  is made from chicken and sometimes hard-boiled eggs; it is the most popular traditional food in Ethiopia, often eaten as part of a group who share a communal bowl and basket of injera.

No comments:

Post a Comment