Sunday, February 12, 2012

Will you pray?



I know of several adoptive families right now that are going through unexpected changes and disappointments with their adoptions. Loss of referrals, changes in countries' adoption policies etc.. -

I can sit here and ask all the "whys" and "what ifs," but I know that will not change anything.  It grieves my heart that these families have to go through such disappointment and loss. There are children... hundreds and thousands of children that may never have enough to eat, a warm bed to sleep in and a family to belong to.

And then there are families.... loving families that are waiting to embrace these children but are hindered by seemingly inadequate reasons that I can't even wrap my mind around.
It's honestly very depressing.

And then...

I remember that even though I can't and will never understand it, it should never stop me or anyone else from taking risks of faith and a risk to love.  These families that loss referrals and are praying for "what's next?" took a tremendous risk in their faith.  They risked their hearts to love a child/children whom they never met and did everything possible to be that forever family to these children. They didn't let the "what ifs" stop them in their path. 
So I have been asking myself and now I am asking you questions to reflect on...

What if..." we never turned the corner because going straight seemed to be easier?"

What if...we never stopped to say 'hi' to our neighbor that always
 seemed so hostile towards us?

What if... we never dared to ask God for the impossible?

What type of risk is God asking you to take?

Is it the risk of loving your spouse even when they don't seem loveable?

Is it the risk of stepping out of our comfort zone and reaching out to someone at church that seems so different than us? 

Is it the risk of asking forgiveness from a family member or friend that has actually hurt you but needs you to take the first step.

Is it the risk of loving an orphan that is hundreds, thousands of miles away that you may or may not meet.

What compels you and I to take risks?

During our Bible study this morning, Sol and I finally answered this question for ourselves. 
God's love has compelled us to take this risk of adopting these 4 children. We are so grateful for the love that HE has poured out on us that we want HIS love to pour through and out of us. We are just HIS vessels.


But the risks don't end here for us...

Now God has asked us to pray more boldly and pray for the impossible, the mountains in front of us that seem immoveable... mountains of paperwork, immigration and our court hearing. I admit, I lack in this area. Not only am I shy with asking God for the impossible but I also hesitate to invite others to join me in this prayer. What if.... God doesn't move the mountains I had in mind but chooses to answer another way... perhaps He chooses to take us around the mountains?

What am I going to lose anyways? 

So I'm inviting you to pray with us.
Will you pray that we get a court hearing date before the end of April? I know, it's a long shot...
But as a follower of Jesus, I know that He remains faithful to His promises. He will answer according to His ways. He may have a different timeline than me but it doesn't mean I can't pray for Him to bring us to Ghana by the end of April.

Jesus looked at them and said 
“With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
Matthew 19:26



2 comments: