Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Fingerprints and celebrating another hurdle!

I don't think I have ever been so anxious about having my fingerprints done.  My anxiety began 2 years ago.  It started out with getting our criminal clearance for the initial part of our application process. After the 4th time of receiving my results that said "failed, poor ridges," and spending over a couple hundred dollars. I began to build a "phobia" of getting fingerprinted. 
This was only the beginning.... - there was more criminal clearance for the 2nd part of our application process ( 4 more times trying and ending up with a written notice)... and finally the USCIS appointment for our orphan petition.  Sigh.... - long story short... it all turned out but I was SO fearful of my fingerprints being REJECTED!

So... this time for our I-600A (orphan petition) fingerprinting renewal, I did my homework.  I did everything I could to prevent my fingers from getting too dry.  I asked for as many suggestions as possible and after trying some of them, I decided the Gold Bond Ultimate did the best job.



Fortunately, we received an appointment with the USCIS rather quickly, but it didn't give me much time to prepare. I lathered lotion everytime my hands were washed.  If you have young boys, you can relate.... from handling dirty laundry, to wiping down toilet seats, around and behind toilet bowls to washing hundreds of used cups and dirty dishes.... my hands are constantly being washed. Thus the dry hands. 

This morning was our appointment and guess what - I PASSED! Ah... the joy of seeing a green light with the word PASS turn on the computer every time my finger was printed.  No red REJECT button flashing for a redo or a failed attempt.  My fingerprints were a success.  In fact, the officer that helped me said she was amazed at how perfect my ridges were!  THANK YOU GOD!
I took a moment to celebrate... one more hurdle behind us.

Now all we need is our I-171h form (our approval) and we are completely done on this side of the Atlantic Ocean... for now at least. Our dossier has been sitting in our adoption agency's office for the past couple months waiting for this I-171h form. Once we receive our approval form, all of our paperwork can be sent to Ghana and we can finally begin to wait for a court date.

I wonder when the waiting ever ends.  Perhaps, I'm wrong, but I feel like most of the adoption process is waiting.  It's a very unusual, abnormal process because we are waiting to become united with children in another part of the world whom we have never met or talked to.   
BUT...

Every bit of the waiting and the loneliness that comes with waiting is SO worth it. 

As I was reflecting today on my fingerprinting phobia, I realized that God has created each one of us so uniquely. As the Creator, His fingerprints are all over us.  I was humbled to be reminded that God as my Creator considers me beautiful and will never reject anyone of us.  He has uniquely created our children from here to Africa.  I have begun to see God's fingerprints on Ethan and Isaac and I cannot wait to see His fingerprints on our children in Africa.  They are all beautifully and wonderfully made by Him. 

Steven Curtis Chapman's song came to mind as I was leaving the USCIS office in Santa Ana. Part of his song really hit home to what I was processing through today as I was thinking about our children and my fingerprinting.  My prayer is that they know and believe how beautiful and unique they are to God. In spite of  the tremendous loss and pain they have gone through, He is not finished with them. He has an amazing hope and a future ahead of them.
We are only a small part of it.  I'm so humbled and thankful.

Fingerprints of God
by Steven Curtis Chapman

I can see the fingerprints of God
When I look at you
I can see the fingerprints of God
And I know it's true
You're a masterpiece
That all creation quietly applauds
And you're covered with the fingerprints of God

Never has there been and never again
Will there be another you
Fashioned by God's hand
And perfectly planned
To be just who you are
And what He's been creating
Since the first beat of your heart
Is a living breathing priceless work of art and...

Just look at you
You're a wonder in the making
Oh, and God's not through, no
In fact, He's just getting started and…

2 comments:

  1. Yay for passing your fingerprints! That WOULD be stressful so I'm so glad you solved the issue. I am loving that you are blogging more frquently as I love to keep up (in a small way) with yoru journey and it reminds me to pray for your family! Wish you didn't live so far away- I know we would be friends in real life too =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome pic chris! love reading your blog. sorry i don't comment as often as i'd like!
    the fingerprinting.. ugh. i am the same way... got rejected for my bar exam fingerprinting when i traveled all the way to southside chicago to have them done.. only to have to repeat the process once more all by myself.
    so glad you passed!!!!! HOORAY!!!! love you

    ReplyDelete