Monday, April 23, 2012

Celebrating 13 years!

13 years ago, March 15th,1999 Sol and I began our courtship.
13 years ago around April 24th, 1999 our eldest son in Ghana was born....

Last night, I fumbled through my boxes of journals and managed to find my beat up journal from 1999.  Without even dusting off the cover, I skimmed through to find April 21st's entry. My journal entry for that date was a reflection from an intense conversation Sol and I had about missions, ministry and orphans. It was filled with hope and excitement for what God had in store for us and the dreams and visions we shared together. Little did we know that around the same time across the other side of the ocean in West Africa, a precious mother was about to give birth to her son.  Of course there must have been hundreds, thousands of miraculous births on that day... but this particular birth was part of our "future story" that Sol and I had no idea about.   

I wish I had all the pieces of this birth mom's story, her pregnancy, her labor and what it was like to give life to this beautiful baby boy. What I really long for is to share a cup of tea with her and just listen to her story. I want to let her know that I value her and admire her courage and strength. 

13 years have passed by and this beautiful baby boy is now entering his teenage years. 

Tears...

Emotions that I cannot even explain.

How I wish I could go for a long walk with him, hear his story and assure him that we love him and will always be by his side. Although we weren't a part of the first 13 years of his life, we may have many years ahead to celebrate together. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Ɔbabarima (Son)!!

13 years ago, you were brought into this world and
 given the precious gift of life. 
It is evident that God has faithfully taken care of you until now. 
Although your journey carries its own pain that nobody may ever understand as well as blessings that only you could see, He has kept His promises and has never left you or abandoned you.  You have been loved and cared for by many people even those that haven't met you.

"May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:25

As you enter into a new season of your teenage years, we pray that He would raise you up to be a courageous young man. 
Joshua 1:9 is a verse that God has given me to give to you:

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.
Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story. I was deeply moved and inspired by your ability to reflect God's love.

    All My Love,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday sweet boy! Continuing to pray for you all to be together soon!

    ReplyDelete